The Bentley building was built in 1910 as an apple house by Henry Bentley of Northville. The foundation walls were a double layer of bricks, so that this area could be used as cold storage for the apples. The ground floor was a cooper shop, and barrels were stored on the upper floor. Keith Bentley switched the farm from apple production to dairy, and then this building was used as a garage for the car, tractor and other machinery. At one time there was an air compressor on the ground floor, with a hole in the wall to exhaust the fumes. This round hole, about two inches in diameter can still be seen on the west side of the building. The initials KEB are carved in the outside, west wall. They stand for Kenneth Earle Bentley. On July 7, 2003 the building was moved from the Bentley property, down the road to the Northville Farm Heritage Centre.
1158 Steadman Road,
Northville, Nova Scotia
Photography by: Donna McCully, C. Anne Rogers, Ronald Corkum